Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Eye of the Tempest



Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?    
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.    
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.            

I do not think that they will sing to me.   
-T.S. Eliot, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock             


…And the tempest shows no end

(Repose)

Looking out the window
To see the weeping willow
It wraps you in its arms
Veils you from my eyes
The rows of white
Set forth before the tree
For parishioners and the like
Come from far and near, for thee

And what of me?
Oh, what of me?

How I do hate myself for living
While you are lost at sea
But wait, that’s me
For I lost myself along with you

Oh, what of me?

I am in the storm
And you have reached the shore

I stalk your shadow throughout the empty house
To catch you round the corner, to see you in the blouse
From your birthday last November
I walked into the garden to watch you labor
To enjoy your trademark quirks
To see your skin so fair
But it did not work
I roll over in bed and smell your hair

You are not there
Oh, you are not there

I hate the ones sitting, who still have ones to love
But wait, that is not me…I now descend the stair
But full of tears and hate, do I dare?
You will not this time quiet my tempest

Oh, you are not there

I am the storm
You were my shore

I read my words from long ago
I found them in your drawer
An honest note penned in indigo
It prophesied a happy life together
How could it perceive what came next?
Your shadow stains the letter
There are tears in the text

With you the world has passed me by
I try to be a man of civility
Oh, how I lie
And I am not who I should be

Sad, if you did see me

Torrential tears like rain
To blow away my dignity, mentality, sanity
No answer found, in this brief clarity        


And Oh, what of me?



(End Repose)

And the tempest shows no end…










Picture courtesy of: http://www.paintingsilove.com/image/show/317080/storm-at-sea

No comments:

Post a Comment